Communion with God is a daily time we should set aside to be alone with Him to get to know Him better and His ways through His Word. Communion with God is also known as Quiet Time.
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF A DAILY COMMUNION WITH GOD
Your communion with God should be the topmost priority in your schedule for the following reasons.
1. The Lord, our God, created us to have fellowship with Him.
“So, God created man in His own image . . .” Gen. 1:26-27
The key phrase in this passage is “In His image.” The fellowship is possible because people are created in the image of God. He intentionally created man in His image. God wanted to have this fellowship with the man because this is inherent within the Trinity.
2. Jesus Christ came and died on the cross to make that relationship with God possible.
1 Cor. 1:9 “God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”
When man fell into sin, that relationship was broken, and therefore, that communion was affected. God wanted that companionship to be re-established. That was made possible through Jesus Christ.
3. Personal time alone with God was Jesus’ custom.
See Mark 1:35; Luke 5:16
4. Every person who has been active in ministering for God developed the habit of spending time with God. (See – Abraham, Moses, David, Daniel, Paul, etc.)
5. It is impossible to be a committed Christian without it!
Matthew 4:4 “But He answered and said, It is written, “MAN SHALL NOT LIVE BY BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT THE MOUTH OF GOD.”
Job 23:12; Psalm 119:9
THE INTENTION OF A DAILY COMMUNION WITH GOD
1. To give worship or devotion to God.
God deserves our devotion Rev 4:11
God desires our devotion John 4:23
2. To get an understanding from God.
Psalm 25:4; Prov. 3:5-6; 4:26
3. To gain an abundance of joy in God.
Psalm 16:11 “You will make known to me the path of life; In your presence is fullness of joy; in your right hand there are pleasures evermore.”
FACT: The better I get to know Christ, the more I will love Him. The more I love Him, the more I will obey Him.
“You see, the secret of obeying is loving.
But the secret of loving is knowing. And the secret of knowing is spending time.
For us to know Him, we must spend time with Him.”
4. To become partakers of God’s divine nature. 2 Peter 1:3-4.
5. To share what you discovered about God and His characters and ways
YOU NEED A PLAN FOR A DAILY COMMUNION WITH GOD.
Select a time that can become your devoted time
Select one that seems most likely for you:
_____ Before school/office/work/business (When everybody still sleeping)
_____ During school/office/work/business (During free time/break)
_____ After school/office/work/business
_____ Before sleeping.
Now try to find a specific time for the time-block you checked.
DO YOU HAVE A DAILY COMMUNION WITH GOD: HOW? FOLLOW THE THINGS BELOW
- Prepare a Bible, notebook, pen, and a dictionary (in case you need one).
- Start with a prayer for guidance and wisdom
- Read a verse, a topic, or a chapter, at least 3x to 5x for a better understanding
- Observe and make notes on the verses – By asking: Who, What, why, when, where, how
- Based on what you observed, reflect and ask, “What does the passage mean?”
- Think of how you can apply what you discovered in your life
- Close in prayer with thanksgiving